Northern Michigan has many inland lakes to explore and lots of boat rental options. We’ve narrowed down a list of our 5 recommended Northern Michigan Boat Rentals located near Sleeping Bear Resort. We are comfortable recommending any and all of them.
These are the top lakes in the area for pleasure boating:
- Lake Ann – Lake Ann is a 527 acre all sports lake and is the closest lake to Sleeping Bear Resort.
- Long Lake – Long Lake is a 2,860 acre all sports lake. It is our favorite boating lake because of the various sand bars and places to anchor or beach your boat for the day.
- Lake Leelanau – North Lake Leelanau and South Lake Leelanau total over 8,600 acres. They are connected by what’s referred to as The Narrows.
- Glen Lake – Glen Lake consists of Big Glen and Little Glen Lakes. They are 4,871 and 1,415 acres, respectively. Glen Lake is considered one of the most beautiful lakes in the region.
- Crystal Lake – Crystal Lake is 9,854 acres and is Michigan’s 9th largest lake. It’s 165 feet deep and has a beautiful deep blue color.
- Grand Traverse Bay – Grand Traverse Bay is 32 miles long, 10 miles wide and 620 feet deep.
Why Knot Rentals is owned and managed by Tom Hopper who takes care of Sleeping Bear Resort’s repairs, maintenance and grounds. He just purchased a brand new 23′ Misty Harbor Pontoon boat that he will be renting this year. The boat accommodates up to 12 passengers and has a 115 horse outboard motor. The boat can be trailered to Long Lake, Lake Ann or Lake Leelanau.
Call Tom for rates and more information at (810) 334-3698 or message him at the Why Knot Boat Rental Facebook page.
Rick White owns and operates Up North Boat Rentals. He has two brand new 2019 21′ Bennington pontoon boats for rent. Rick’s boats have 60 horse power motors and are great for casual boating but are not the type of boat used for tubing or water skiing. Both Rick’s boats are located on Long Lake which is about a 15 minute drive from Sleeping Bear Resort. Doreen and I have rented from Rick and had a very good experience.
Call Rick at (231) 590-3201 for rates and more information.
Glen Lake Marine/Manitou Motorsports is located on M-72 toward Empire. Their boat rentals are primarily in Glen Lake but they will launch their boats in other lakes for an additional fee. Glen Lake Marine rents pontoon boats, power boats, fishing boats and Jet Skis.
TC Watersports is a larger operation and has pontoon boats, ski boats, deck boats and jet skis. We recommend TC Watersports for boating in the Grand Traverse Bay and they will also launch their boats in any of the area lakes.
TC Watersport boats can be booked online or by calling 231-947-7229.
McDonald Marine rents pontoon boats and ski boats.
Call 800-482-7910 or use their website’s online request for booking.